Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 7 15:01:25 UTC 2015

Kevin Kofler composed on 2015-11-07 14:05 (UTC+0100):

> Reindl Harald wrote:

>> come on and don't tell me 99% of i686 users have machines older than 10
>> years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 because "ntel introduced SSE3
>> in early 2004 with the Prescott revision of their Pentium 4 CPU"

Any demarcation that is calendar based is purely arbitrary. 64 bit was
introduced far more than 10 years ago. There is plenty of 32 bit hardware
perfectly capable of doing what needs doing regardless of age. Not everyone
needs, or wants, the bloat that newer enables. Not everyone is "speed"
sensitive, while most are sensitive to the security that keeping current
provides.

FWIW, Prescott introduction roughly coincides with PCIe video slots replacing
AGP slots. Any motherboard with AGP likely is incapable of having a 64 bit
Intel CPU installed and supported by its BIOS.

>> those machines would not be able to run a recent Fedora due all the
>> bloat introduced over the years - try a system update with 512 MB and
>> shake your hands with the OOM-killer

> I have a computer without SSE3. It runs Fedora just fine. I initially had 1
> GiB of RAM in it, I upgraded it to 3 GiB.

I have approximately 40 Fedora installations on 32 bit CPUs. About half of
those are on Prescotts. I'm unable to notice that those with more than 1G RAM
run any better than those with more RAM. I am able to notice that the older,
slower ones that do have SSE2 are able to run, but with Plasma 5, those are
very slow. Those do run respectably with lighter WMs/DEs. For those without
SSE2, Plasma 5 is completely unusable, but OK with any of the lightweights.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/