DNF is completly unable to act with local packages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 7 15:35:41 UTC 2015

Am 07.11.2015 um 16:24 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 15:48:20 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> Fedora 23 was *released* with rpm-4.13.0-0.rc1.3.fc23.x86_64.rpm
>
> Yes. Multiple people have touched the package, keeping this different
> versioning scheme. It's a lost cause.
>
>> your complaints have *nothing* to do with teh fact that DNF is
>> constantly unable to deal with local packages, not only that ones, most
>> of the time
>
> True. I know that my comment was off-topic.
>
> Btw, it's odd already that "dnf update rpm*.rpm" refuses to install
> packages that are not installed as older version. Compare that with
> "rpm -Uvh …" and "rpm -Fvh …". It would make sense to mimic those
> two commands in tools that install from repositories.

no - that is correct and i would blame rpm that "U" also installs

simple example:

* on my machines i try to uninstall all unneeded stuff
* koji download for testing
* a dozen of subpackages
* instead compare 5 minutes which one i need click
   on all 5 downloadlinks and "dnf update *.rpm"
   (if it would work) would only update as told and
   should only pull one of them if it is a new dependency

> Instead, every two years and a half, developers of new tools come up
> with new (mis-)behaviour. Sometimes with strange rationales, sometimes
> with none. Originally, Yum didn't look at latest packages when asking
> it to install something. It picked the first version it could find,
> only to replace it immediately afterwards during the first "yum update".

only the fact that DNF downloads/refreshs metadata when doing a
localinstall / localupdate is a regression - YUM was smart in that
context and did it if a dependency could not be solved with the local
files from the commandline

> In DNF, the manual is full of renamed [deprecated] commands already.
> Puzzling!
>
>     Update Command
>         dnf [options] update
>                Deprecated alias for the Upgrade Command.
>
>     Erase Command
>         dnf [options] erase <spec>...
>                Deprecated alias for the Remove Command.
>
>     Distribution-synchronization command
>         dnf distribution-synchronization
>                Deprecated alias for the Distro-sync command.
>
>     Update-To Command
>         dnf [options] update-to <package-nevr-specs>...
>                Deprecated alias for the Upgrade-To Command

who cares about millions of documents, users trained things over years
and scripts written when draw backward compatibility is so much easier....