Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 7 15:45:52 UTC 2015

Am 07.11.2015 um 16:40 schrieb Felix Miata:
> Reindl Harald composed on 2015-11-07 16:12 (UTC+0100):
>> Felix Miata composed:
>>> Any demarcation that is calendar based is purely arbitrary. 64 bit was
>>> introduced far more than 10 years ago. There is plenty of 32 bit hardware
>>> perfectly capable of doing what needs doing regardless of age. Not everyone
>>> needs, or wants, the bloat that newer enables. Not everyone is "speed"
>>> sensitive, while most are sensitive to the security that keeping current
>>> provides
>
>> and these are the Fedora relevant users?
>
> Surely there are people who need relativly recent or current versions of
> software other than web browsers who aren't concerned with speed or replacing
> hardware at an arbitrary chronological age. Photographers using Darktable may
> well be among them.
>
> Under any given roof, it makes sense to keep all machines on the same OS when
> practical. Who's to say a whole family or business should be using CentOS
> because one machine is past its prime?

well, who's to say that we stay forever on a level of CPU
feature-support while there are instruction sets available for a whole
decade which improve performance, save power in case you need fewer
instructions doing the same work?

not that i say Fedora should go ahead and build with -mavx but a
discussion about SSE3 in 2015 is really odd