Unexpected NIC naming f23 firewall implications

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Nov 8 19:36:57 UTC 2015

Am 08.11.2015 um 20:29 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 05:28:54PM +0000, Christopher wrote:
>> I recently updated my desktop to f23, and it went smoothly, for the most
>> part. However, it broke my mediatomb server because the NIC changed from
>> em1 to eno1.
>>
>> Is this something that was expected? It certainly surprised me.
>
> It happened to a bunch of servers when I updated them from F22 to F23.
> Their NICs changed from p6p1 -> enp3s0.  It was annoying because I had
> to boot each one with a display and keyboard and change the network
> configuration by hand.
>
> "predictable, stable network interface names"
> https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

that is simple to solve forever

* add "net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0" to your kernel params
* get rid of NetworkManager
* rename your ethernet-devices in the ifcfg-files based on the MAC
* survives yum-upgardes from Fedora 9 to Fedora 23
* nobody needs NM and that other stuff on static configured servers
* frankly even with a DHCP wan-interface it works perfectly

the machine below has 16 network-interfaces and the IP is configured via
DHCP and after get rid of all the "improvements" no loger troubles
______________________________________

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wan
###########################
#      WAN (Chello)       #
###########################

DEVICE=wan
HWADDR=24:be:05:1a:c0:27

TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
ARPCHECK=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
MTU=1500
ETHTOOL_OPTS="wol d; -K ${DEVICE} tso on rx on tx on gro on; -G
${DEVICE} rx 2048 tx 2048; -C ${DEVICE} rx-usecs 75"
______________________________________

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/network-wan-bridge.service
[Unit]
Description=Network Internet Bridge
After=network.service systemd-networkd.service network-online.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/brctl addbr br-wan
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/brctl stp br-wan off
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/brctl setageing br-wan 600
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/brctl setfd br-wan 5
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/brctl addif br-wan wan
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/brctl addif br-wan vmnet1
ExecStartPre=-/usr/sbin/ifconfig br-wan hw ether 00:50:8D:B5:CC:DE up
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dhclient -4 -H srv-rhsoft -q -R
subnet-mask,broadcast-address,routers,interface-mtu br-wan
ExecStartPost=-/usr/sbin/ifconfig br-wan -multicast -allmulti
ExecStartPost=-/usr/sbin/ifconfig vmnet1 0.0.0.0 -multicast -allmulti up
ExecStopPost=-/usr/sbin/ifconfig br-wan down
ExecStopPost=-/usr/sbin/brctl delbr br-wan

Restart=always
RestartSec=1

PrivateTmp=yes
NoNewPrivileges=yes
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
CAP_NET_BROADCAST CAP_NET_RAW

ReadOnlyDirectories=/etc
ReadOnlyDirectories=/usr

InaccessibleDirectories=-/mnt