Unexpected NIC naming f23 firewall implications

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Nov 8 19:49:52 UTC 2015

Am 08.11.2015 um 20:42 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 08:36:57PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> It happened to a bunch of servers when I updated them from F22 to F23.
>>> Their NICs changed from p6p1 -> enp3s0.  It was annoying because I had
>>> to boot each one with a display and keyboard and change the network
>>> configuration by hand.
>>>
>>> "predictable, stable network interface names"
>>> https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
>>
>> that is simple to solve forever
>>
>> * add "net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0" to your kernel params
>> * get rid of NetworkManager
>> * rename your ethernet-devices in the ifcfg-files based on the MAC
>> * survives yum-upgardes from Fedora 9 to Fedora 23
>> * nobody needs NM and that other stuff on static configured servers
>> * frankly even with a DHCP wan-interface it works perfectly
>
> I agree, except it's not "simple" :-)

define simple

it's in any way simpler then find out after a update that you can no
longer reaach your machine because all that "predictable" crap changed
multiple times in the past with no gain for 99% of all setups (most have
only one NIC and for them eth0 was as predictable as something can be)

> Maybe giving permanent names to network interfaces (of our own choice
> or from a standard set) is something we should be able to choose at
> installation time?

yes that would make things way easier because when you have 5
network-interfaces and a plan what they are supposed to do you could
start naming them and later just try out "who is who" by plugin a cable
(they easy way with physical access while and after setup)

the same way when you see the MAC-address you giving the name you can
plugin your cables before setup, depending on the hardware there may be
some label which port has which MAC, however - the only "persistent"
thing of a network-interface it's his MAC address

IMPORTANT: it *must* be clear where this paring is configured in case
you need to replace a NIC and adtop the configuration