COPR for ARM?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:22:17 UTC 2015

>>> The attempts at emulated builds have usually been slower than the hardware
>>> builds
>>
>> Are they unusable? I find it hard to believe that emulated builds are that
>> horrible for building in when we don't have much hardware for ARM builds...
>>

> If we are talking about cross-compiling emultation builds (some people
> use that term so I need to make sure I am clear) then I think we
> haven't looked into it because we don't do cross-compiles in the main
> build system. If we are talking about using qemu to emulate arm, the
> problem is that the speed was so slow that it was interfering with
> builds thinking they were broken (timed out) when they were just
> really slow. However that was a long time ago (2 years?) so it may
> have improved.

There's a bunch of issues with cross compiling a lot of things,
partially around a bunch of the things that run around the actual
composing. The way OBS does that is by running those bits in a qemu
emulated. It's quite messy and it would need a bunch of development.
We're much closer to getting ARMv7 on aarch64 VMs running and that
would be more suitable for all involved.

Peter