Unexpected NIC naming f23 firewall implications

Christopher ctubbsii-fedora at apache.org
Sun Nov 8 20:25:26 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015, 14:29 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 05:28:54PM +0000, Christopher wrote:
> I recently updated my desktop to f23, and it went smoothly, for the most
> part. However, it broke my mediatomb server because the NIC changed from
> em1 to eno1.
>
> Is this something that was expected? It certainly surprised me.

It happened to a bunch of servers when I updated them from F22 to F23.
Their NICs changed from p6p1 -> enp3s0.  It was annoying because I had
to boot each one with a display and keyboard and change the network
configuration by hand.

"predictable, stable network interface names"
https
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
://
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
wiki.freedesktop.org
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
/www/Software/
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
systemd
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
/
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>
/
<https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>

Rich.

It's a good policy and a good idea, but I thought it had already been done
with the em1 naming. I guess i misunderstood when it'd be implemented.