Unexpected NIC naming f23 firewall implications

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Nov 8 21:59:28 UTC 2015

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> a skilled sysadmin can solve all that problems at his own, a non-skilled
> has repeatly problems to solve which did not exist in the past where
> eth0 was normal

I guess you were lucky in the past. My experience was that interface
names were unstable in the "eth0" days. After an upgrade eth0 and eth1
could suddenly swap names with each other, and adding or removing a
network card could trigger a renaming of other network cards that had
not been touched. Network interface names have always been unreliable,
and apparently they're still unreliable, unless you have configured
your own names and ensured that your configuration overrides anything
else that tries to rename interfaces.

Björn Persson