Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 9 13:19:34 UTC 2015

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Qt5 (Gui and Declarative) pretty much requires sse2, and I/kde-sig asked
> about pushing the minimum i686 fedora spec to include sse2, but fesco was
> against that idea at the time.

For what it's worth, I was against it. Using /usr/lib/sse2 as we do now
works just fine as a solution to this problem. People without SSE2 at least
get a distribution that works for them, and even Qt 5 builds (except the
soon-to-be-packaged QtWebEngine module, sadly, unless/until something
happens at its upstream to fix the V8 non-portability) that work, albeit
slowly. LXQt should even work at an acceptable speed, given that they use
QtWidgets for their UI, which does not need the QML 2 interpreter or JIT (so
you don't get the non-JIT interpreter). And people with SSE2 get SSE2-
optimized .so binaries where it matters.

The only thing the duplication costs is some disk space, but that is the
price of portability.

        Kevin Kofler