Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Mon Nov 9 21:31:28 UTC 2015

On 11/07/2015 10:23 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> these days (and i talk about hardware from 2011) you can virtualize
> things fast, easy and efficient and consolidate machines on more or less
> cheap hardware

For servers, sure, but that doesn't work for desktops.

> talking about a rapid moving distribution like Fedora and at the same
> time hestitate to use technology available for a decade is strange - i
> guess people plan to run their hardware for 10, 12, 15 years are not
> using typically a distribution like Fedora

I manage all the IT for a private school.  There is a computer lab for
the students to use.  They don't have the money to buy new computers,
the computers they have were donated.  They are P4 desktops from around
2005 and they have SSE2.  I install Fedora on all the computers and
laptops there that I manage. (The older students manage their own
laptops, but even some of them want Fedora installed as well.)  I
upgraded all the P4 desktops to 2GB RAM and with F22 using a non-3D WM
they work perfectly for student use.

So yes, I'm using 10 year old hardware with the latest Fedora and it
works great.  (I'll update them to F23 next time I'm there.)