Unexpected NIC naming f23 firewall implications

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Nov 10 14:21:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 07:06:51AM +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 08:50:55PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > em* and p?p? come from biosdevname, which should not be used and is deprecated.
> >
> > I'm merely observing what happened when I updated a bunch of servers
> > from F22 to F23.  I didn't intentionally install nor uninstall biosdevname
> > at any point.
And this is the crux of the problem: for some reason biosdevname
stopped working for you. This was not intentional and should not
happen. Is biosdevname it still installed? Can you file a bug
against systemd and attach output of 'sudo udevadm test /sys/class/net/eno1'
(or whatever the name the device has in the end)?

> But you should have.  Biosdevname what deprecated 3 years ago (with Fedora 19
> or 20*), you should have migrated your rules to udev's naming scheme and
> remove biosdevname.
That's true, but not really relevant. We neither removed biosdevname nor
announced that is not supported anymore, and if it suddenly stopped working
we need to figure out why.

Zbyszek