Self Introduction: Coty Sutherland

Coty Sutherland csutherl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 14:42:33 UTC 2015

Hello everyone!!

About me:

I have been using Fedora since Fedora 14-ish and have really
enjoyed using the OS thus far. I am a software developer with
my primary language being Java, but I also enjoy python,
javascript, and C (at times). I've gotten a good bit of
experience with various RH products as well as been certified
as an RHCE and Openstack admin. I've worked at Red Hat for
almost 4 years now and my time in Global Support Services
was spent supporting the JBoss EAP product, httpd, and Tomcat.
I recently transitioned into an Engineering role to help with
packaging Tomcat for RHEL and would love to give back to the
community! This would be my first real (aside from random
github commits) contribution to an OSS project, so I am very
excited about it.

I recently joined the Fedora project as a contributor
and have been wading through the docs so that I can become a
package maintainer. It looks like I need to request package
ownership by way of emailing this list and taking a few other
steps (which I'm working on) outlined in the doc here [0].

The package that I'm looking to maintain (Tomcat6) at this
point was retired a few years ago due to lack of updates from
the previous maintainer according to the last commit in the SCM
dead.package branch. There is an updated version of Tomcat
(current is Tomcat 8), but given that Tomcat 6 doesn't EOL
until Dec of 2016 I'd like to provide updates to it via Fedora,
if that is something that would be useful.

I'd also love to assist with the Tomcat7 and/or Tomcat8 package,
so I'll be reaching out to the maintainer there separately.

If anyone has any feedback on this plan of action, additional
steps that I've missed in documentation, or just thinks that
I should just assist on the newer packages, let me know.

Thanks!!

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Orphaned_package_that_need_new_maintainers#Claiming_Ownership_of_a_Retired_Package

--
Coty Sutherland, RHCSA, RHCE, JBCAA