wayland in rawhide

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 21:32:31 UTC 2015

> Today I built snapshots of gnome-session gdm gnome-shell and mutter
> that change how we do sessions at the login screen. We'll no longer
> have separate items for GNOME and GNOME on Wayland.  Instead they're
> now both consolidated under the GNOME item.  That item will use
> wayland if it can, but if it falls back (because of a failure or
> nvidia proprietary drivers, or the user explicitly disables wayland in
> /etc/gdm/custom.conf) then that GNOME item will use Xorg instead.
>
> I'm doing this for now in rawhide as preparation for this system-wide
> f24 change:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefault
>
> If things don't pan out for whatever reason, or the change gets
> otherwise rejected for f24, we'll split the items back out into two
> items.
>
> But it's good to get this in rawhide now, so we can get as much
> exposure as possible to potential wayland problems and get them fixed
> up before release.
>
> Just a heads up ! If you're a rawhide user please test!

I'd rather we waited until wayland sessions are feature equivalent with X.
Sweeping this under the carpet and then not providing users any way to get to something that
works on their hardware. The Fedora world isn't just an Intel laptop.
We know off enough bugs in mutter/wayland and feature differences without
forcing it on the world. Maybe we should spend more time fixing the deficiencies
we know about before going out and finding new ones.

For examples this change deliberately breaks optimus machines in
rawhide and stops USB monitor hotplugging from working, these are features
I spent a lot of time making sure they worked in Fedora and you have just
removed them without consulting me. As such I request you revert this.

Also I'd wait until mutter stops requiring Xwayland running for native apps.

Dave.