wayland in rawhide

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 00:58:33 UTC 2015

> That's fine.  I don't have a problem adding "GNOME on Xorg" option to
> the session
> menu in the interim. I'll do it tomorrow.

This is what the feature page said would happen in the first place. So
I'm also confused why you didn't just do that.

> I will say you're coming off (to me anyway) as somewhat combative.  We're on
> the same team here.  Let's keep it constructive and friendly?

Okay, I'll try and be a little less pissed off at disabling features users
use, that we've spent years implementing in X/GNOME.

The fact you are requesting wayland by default while we still have the following list:

Close all remaining feature parity gaps between the Wayland and the X11 session:

    input methods
    on-screen keyboard
    hi-dpi support
    clipboard proxy for xwayland
    attached modal dialogs
    tablet support
    startup notification
    touch proxy for xwayland
    accessibility features
    output rotation

These are just the missing features (never mind dialog boxes in wierd places bugs)
and it doesn't even contain the USB output hotplugging, or secondary GPU output use cases.

So maybe I'm getting old, but I thought we were over shoving half-baked onto users now,
Maybe implement all those features, get them into the non-default wayland session,
then go lobby for enabling the wayland session by default, otherwise I feel you are
putting the cart before the horse.

Dave.