wayland in rawhide

Dominique Martinet dominique.martinet at cea.fr
Thu Nov 12 14:31:45 UTC 2015

Hi,

Tom Hughes wrote on Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 02:22:35PM +0000:
> I think the bug explains fairly well why that is a bad idea.

Sorry to butt in, but no, it explains why a handful of people think it
is a bad idea, with another saying it's a good one.

> It's not so much on the paste side, where having middle click paste whatever
> was in the clipboard side would not be a major problem.
>
> It's more that you probably wouldn't want your clipboard buffer overwritten
> whenever you selected some text.
>
> Currently X has two (well three, but let's ignore the secondary selection)
> buffers. One for primary selection that is overwritten when you select and
> pasted with middle click and one for the clipboard selection that is
> overwritten on Ctrl+C and pasted on Ctrl+V.

It really didn't take me long after first using X-based interfaces to
make use of the primary buffer, and I've pretty much never used ^C/^V
ever since.

I only ever touch the mouse when I need to select something to
copy/paste it, so I'm not going to try to pretend I understand people
saying they don't want this behavior -- but likewise please don't say
that the "selection copies" behavior is bad for everyone.
It really isn't something I (and seemingly many others) want to lose,
ever.
I also don't think multiple buffers is a good idea, I've always found
that confusing in X and this has been said in the bz as well, so we
really should try to keep a single buffer too.

If we can't get to a compromise just make it an option and everyone will
be happy (except maybe for the nagging of what should be the default,
but people can just make a poll for that -- I personally don't care as
long as it's possible without having to hack code and rebuild)

--
Dominique Martinet