i3wm based minimal Spin?

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 12 15:00:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Dan Book <grinnz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Dennis Chen <barracks510 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What are the chances that a minimal desktop spin can be created for the
>> 24 release? It would be nice to have a prepackaged "desktop
>> environment" with the terminal as it's main focus.

I've thought about doing this a few times in the past but decided not
to because I generally expect folks who want very minimal systems with
tiling window managers like i3wm are going to want things very
customized exactly the way they like them (myself included). My
approach right now is just to install a minimal system with the net
installer and then run an ansible playbook[0] I have to setup my
laptop the way I like it along with my configs[1] and I'd be surprised
if others who use tiling window managers have a much different
approach.

That being said, if there are enough people interested in agreeing on
some sort of a baseline such that we have a nice LiveCD/USB image that
can be installed from, I'd be open to discussing and helping maintain
an i3wm spin.

-AdamM

[0] - https://github.com/maxamillion/ansible-maxamillion-workstation
[1] - https://github.com/maxamillion/dotfiles