DNF is completly unable to act with local packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:27:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 06:38:41 -0500 (EST), Honza Šilhan wrote:

> "rpm -Uvh …" ~ "dnf install" - only difference is that dnf install can
> do downgrades too if you specify the version of the package

So, if you run "dnf install *.rpm" and one of the local .rpm files is
older than what is installed, you cannot use that command because it
would want to perform a downgrade?

> "rpm -Fvh" ~ "dnf update" - only difference is that dnf update gives you
> the message that package is not installed. (I don't know whether rpm skips
> not-installed packages and proceeds with the rest of arguments though)

Yes, -F skips "not-installed packages" and proceeds with everything that
would be an update.

> Personally I find "install"/"update" naming more readable than "-Uvh"/"-Fvh".

-U is short for --upgrade
-F is short for --freshen (and sometimes users mistake it for --force)
-v is fully optional --verbose output and same as as dnf -v/--verbose
-h is fully optional --hash progress output

Whether to write "install", "--install" or "-i" is pureley cosmetic.
However, the short forms are convenient.