i3wm based minimal Spin?

Fabio Alessandro Locati fabiolocati at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:18:53 UTC 2015

I was thinking about it too... but I think that i3wm may be not the
right one since is based on Xorg and there is no plan to support
wayland in the near future. http://swaywm.org/ is a project to write
an i3wm port to wayland. I think it could be interesting to be based
on it

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Dan Book <grinnz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Dennis Chen <barracks510 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What are the chances that a minimal desktop spin can be created for the
>>> 24 release? It would be nice to have a prepackaged "desktop
>>> environment" with the terminal as it's main focus.
>
> I've thought about doing this a few times in the past but decided not
> to because I generally expect folks who want very minimal systems with
> tiling window managers like i3wm are going to want things very
> customized exactly the way they like them (myself included). My
> approach right now is just to install a minimal system with the net
> installer and then run an ansible playbook[0] I have to setup my
> laptop the way I like it along with my configs[1] and I'd be surprised
> if others who use tiling window managers have a much different
> approach.
>
> That being said, if there are enough people interested in agreeing on
> some sort of a baseline such that we have a nice LiveCD/USB image that
> can be installed from, I'd be open to discussing and helping maintain
> an i3wm spin.
>
> -AdamM
>
> [0] - https://github.com/maxamillion/ansible-maxamillion-workstation
> [1] - https://github.com/maxamillion/dotfiles
>

>>> Dennis Chen
>>> --
>>

>> As with anything, it probably depends foremost on someone being willing to
>> set it up. There is a "Basic Desktop" group that could be used.
>>
>> --

Fabio Alessandro Locati

PGP Fingerprint: B960 BE9D E7A8 FA12 273A  98BB 6D6A 29D6 709A 7851
https://keybase.io/fale