F23: r8169 stopped working

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Fri Nov 13 10:26:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 08:02:58AM +0100, Jos Vos wrote:

> I did some further tests:
>
> -  Also the F23 Live image works fine (with 4.2.3 kernel), no issues
>    with the Ethernet, I get an immediate connection, flawless...
>    And: also suspend/resume works fine there (see below).
>
> -  F23 installed (with all updates): no Ethernet working and resume
>    after suspend doesn't turn on backlight of the laptop (system is
>    running fine, I can remotely login via wifi), while resuming with
>    backlight works perfectly using the F23 live image.

Update: the suspend issue was solved by *removing* "nomodeset" from
the boot command line in the grub config (I compared the command lines
of the Live image and the installed version).

The Ethernet card started working when I *enabled* secure boot in the
BIOS, but it (in most cases?) stays working when I disable it again.
Confused, as I'm wondering if this can influence the Ethernet driver
or is this just a random coincidence?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>