FedRTC.org SIP and XMPP service - help needed

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Nov 13 19:03:03 UTC 2015

On 13/11/15 19:45, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:20 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In both the FedRTC and debian case how many calls are made a
>> day/month, what is the volume of XMPP etc? In the later case we
>> already use both IRC and Telegram within the community, I'm not sure
>> what value yet another text messaging service provides.
>
> Well we could use this to replace our IRC meetings. We could finish
> meetings much faster over SIP than with IRC. It's kind of primitive
> that we don't have a good way to do voice and video calls right now.
> At least I've never used Telegram, or seen anyone using it; it doesn't
> work with Empathy AFAIK; do we even have a GNOME Telegram client?

Telegram is coming to Telepathy/Empathy:

https://akulichalexandr.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/telegram-connection-manager-the-first-release-is-going-on/

https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-morse

but Telegram is not based on an open server.  The server is proprietary.
 Although they promise that messages are encrypted, they do have
metadata, so they know who you know and when you contacted somebody,
those details alone can be quite valuable for a range of purposes that
are not in the best interests of the user.

XMPP has MUC, a text-based alternative to IRC.  I'm not sure if there is
a compelling reason to change from IRC though.

There are certain situations where voice and video are useful though,
for example, making training presentations, interviewing GSoC students
or demonstrating how well Fedora does multimedia.

Regards,

Daniel