[RFC] DistGit Container Image namespacing for Layered Image Build Service

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 23:14:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:08:25PM -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
> Hello all,
>     In the Fedora 24 timeframe the Fedora Release Engineering group is
> aiming to deliver the Layered Image Build Service[0] to allow Fedora
> contributors to build containers images. In the first iteration of
> this we're targeting Docker layered image support. Part of this will
> be to allow Fedora contributors to maintain Dockerfiles much like we
> maintain rpm spec files via DistGit.

So you're talking about one docker file per package, right? Or are these
going to pull from multiple packages and have the docker container be a
different level of object? Or both?

If you're talking about a 1:1 package:docker mapping then the only thing
that makes sense to me is to have them live in the current system next
to the .spec files. Anything else will easily introduce divergence from
the rpm packages.

I also see that 'container packager' and 'rpm packager' are used in the
build service page. I don't think these should be separate roles,
everyone should be a packager. If you have one role working on container
building for a package and another who only does rpm packaging we're
going to, again, end up with things diverging.

Some things I'd suggest (given I don't know the answers to the above
questions):

1. All bits have to come from koji built rpms. No rebuilding of bits
for docker, it just installs existing bits.

2. docker files for packages live in dist-git next to the package spec
file.

3. Any meta-containers collecting using packages are also an rpm
package, following whatever naming convention gets decided on.
fedora-docker-foo would make sense to me.

4. package level docker files are maintained by the same people who maintain
the package.