What's the current status of mp3-licensing issues?

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Sun Nov 15 16:54:01 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Besides, determining when a patent expires is not that easy and Fedora
> Legal is backed by skilled lawyers that said the contrary. Unless Fedora
> Legal confirms your theory (which I doubt), it's useless to discuss this on
> this list.

Yeah, this is an issue for Fedora-Legal list, but is interesting
nonetheless.  Looked like from the previous email that there were still a
few patents that don't expire until 2017.  The first thing that actually
popped into my mind was the argument that was always used about Vorbis,
i.e. "businesses are afraid to use it because of potential infringement
issues" - which I always thought was just a bunch of FUD.  That said, if
MP3 patents are expiring what is now the excuse for people not using
Vorbis?  It's obviously a better solution and uses less bandwidth for the
same or better quality.