Self Introduction: Alexandre Detiste

Alexandre Detiste alexandre.detiste at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 11:05:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

My name is Alexandre Detiste.

My first Linux distro was RedHat 5.2, the one from 1998.

In 2002, at the age of 19, I flew from my parents with nothing
but a harddisk & some clothes.

Some times later I built a computer from crap parts
& the distro-of-the-month of the local magazine was Debian Woody.

https://linuxfr.org/news/woody-dans-plan%C3%A8te-linux-hs-7

When I gained back internet access (caped to 500MB/month)
one year later, I still appreciated the awesomeness of apt-get &
having a kind of rolling-release so I just stuck with that.

---

Since 3 years I have been an active contributor to the Debian project;
mostly on the Debian-native "game-data-packager" project.

This automate identification, unpacking & repacking of commercial
games into platform-native packages (thus .deb or .rpm's).

Instead of previous attemps over the web, this uses a declarative
YAML language instead of fragile shell scripts.

So it's quite alike comparing SysVinit scripts to systemd services.

-------

I always felt that making this cross-distro would be quite easy;
the distro-specific bits being mostly in a separate class;
so now I've just installed Fedora and this port was mostly done
in one week; bringing instantately recipes to packages 300 new (old) games.

This one package may be unfit for Fedora proper; but I believe
it's main depedency, the open source "innoextract" tool
used to unpack archives built with the open source "innosetup" tool
(windows-only); belongs in Fedora.

G-D-P will also need to co-operate with other existing packages in Fedora
like "quake3" or "prboom-plus" to ensure that assets are saved
at the right location so the free engines can find them.

More technical detail in my previous post.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-November/216602.html

Greets,

Alexandre Detiste