Some analysis on the size of the minimal and Server installs of Fedora 23

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 16:16:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-11-16 at 20:39 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> ==== 10 Longest dependency chains ====
> b'abrt-addon-python3': 170
> b'abrt-retrace-client': 171
> b'abrt-addon-pstoreoops': 171
> b'abrt-addon-ccpp': 183
> b'abrt-addon-vmcore': 190
> b'rolekit': 196
> b'abrt-cli': 214
> b'cockpit': 216
> b'freeipa-client': 249
> b'fedora-release-server': 252

I'm not sure what you mean by "dependency chain" here, I honestly doubt
we have any A->B->C->... chains between packages exceeding, I dunno, 30
in length. Perhaps this means "installing this package installs a graph
with this many package nodes"?  Or more succinctly, "10 largest
dependency subtrees"?

> * server-hardware-support
>  - lm_sensors: chain 139

A bunch of that is perl.  The old desktop live images fought pretty
hard to keep perl out, I suspect the sysadmin heritage of the stuff in
the server image will make that a bit harder to accomplish.

One other thing the desktop live image had going for it was a concrete
numeric goal to aim for.  Since we're considering disk space in the
context of cloud images, would it make sense to define a target in
terms of (say) dollar cost of storage in Amazon EBS for a year?

> * The largest difference in the Fedora Server install vs. the minimal
> install is due to the FreeIPA and Samba packages requiring the
> inclusion of the Python 2 stack; focusing on eliminating this
> requirement in Fedora 24 would have the largest impact on both the
> number of packages and the space on disk.

Tsk, another instance of "python3 by default" not implying what we
might have hoped.

- ajax