Some analysis on the size of the minimal and Server installs, of Fedora 23

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 17 20:09:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 11:14 -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:48:08AM +0000, Michael Hampton wrote:
> > Along those lines, I would like to see Anaconda detect whether the
> > system is a virtual machine, and automatically select for installation
> > the _appropriate_ guest agents for the detected hypervisor, rather
> > than _all_ of them, but this doesn't affect Server exclusively.
>
> We actually do this already. Anaconda runs systemd-detect-virt and then
> adds a group named platform-<virt name> if it is running inside a
> detected hypervisor. Packages for the group are controlled by comps. eg.
> kvm will add a 'platform-kvm' group to the installation automatically.

Hm - perhaps that is only really working in RHEL?

In Fedora, there don't seem to be any 'platform-foo' groups in comps, and
there's a guest-desktop-agents group which is included in all the desktop
environment groups and pulls in all the agents.

So I guess there's room for improvement there? We could implement the
platform-* groups for anaconda installs, then not include the 'all
agents' group in the desktop environment groups, but instead pull it in
via kickstarts for the live image cases (and any other cases where
anaconda can't intelligently pull in just the correct group)?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey