Dealing with the "my packages" problem

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 00:21:38 UTC 2015

> tl; dr: I have submitted the following RFE for pkgdb:
>   https://github.com/fedora-infra/pkgdb2/issues/274
> Please add comments there if you have any.
>
> I know I'm not the only provenpackager to have applied a bugfix to
> someone's package only to be yelled at it for it.  Some maintainers are
> more prickly about having others touch the packages they maintain for
> the community than others, and unfortunately there's currently just no
> way to know whether you'll be thanked or flamed for helping out with a
> package.
>
> After some IRC discussion I've come to the following proposal: that
> maintainers have some way to easily indicate how open they are to
> external contributions.  Basically this would take the form of a few
> options in pkgdb where maintainers can indicate their willingness to
> have provenpackagers carry out a few actions.  Please read the github
> ticket for details:
>   https://github.com/fedora-infra/pkgdb2/issues/274
>
> This would be purely advisory, with hopefully reasonable defaults.  I
> believe it has the potential to eliminate quite a bit of friction that
> provenpackagers must handle, as well as eliminate the hesitation some of
> us feel for fear of being flamed.

This seems like a crappy technical solution to a social problem.

Maybe by renaming package maintainers to something like caretakers we could
start changing the way people who maintain packages view their positions.

You don't own a package in Fedora. You are taking care of it on behalf
of the Fedora community, other people in the community can touch your package.

The other option is to just open all packages to everyone, I've no idea
why we still have ACLs in the land of git.

Dave.