FedRTC.org SIP and XMPP service - help needed

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Nov 18 09:30:12 UTC 2015

On 17/11/15 22:57, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:
>> Fedora Talk was based on Asterisk.
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Asterisk Asterisk has
>> lots of great features (voicemail, queues, etc) but it is mainly for
>> voice, it emphasizes SIP and at the time it was also quite bad with
>> IPv6, TLS and NAT. FedRTC.org is based on a SIP proxy, not Asterisk.
>> SIP proxies (and XMPP servers) tend to have a much bigger emphasis on
>> connectivity and they also tend to have less features, so they are
>> easier to support. The repro SIP proxy has exceptionally good TLS and
>> IPv6 support. Asterisk is not really optimized for federation but
>> federation is quite easy with a SIP proxy because of the emphasis on
>> connectivity.
>
> One thing that is not clear to me from the website, is it just for 1:1
> calls or can be used for video calls with more than two participants?

Multi-party video calling using completely free software (on both the
client and server side) is possible using the Jitsi Meet[1] software.

The initial plan for FedRTC is to run a basic service supporting
two-party calls.  We would also potentially enable multi-user chat (MUC
in XMPP terminology).

We would then look at strategies to enable multi-user video calls, this
would depend on the packaging of Jitsi Meet (or the emergence of any
alternatives that are easier to package) and the number of people
interested in helping manage the service.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://meet.jit.si/