building conflicting packages from a single spec

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Wed Nov 18 16:34:16 UTC 2015

On 18/11/15 03:31, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> PB> Is $subject possible?
>
> I don't think so, since at the end of %install you have exactly one set
> of files in one buildroot.

Right. There was talk of potential support for this ages ago:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2002-July/msg00222.html

> Still, I don't see a reason for the
> subpackages to actually conflict.
>
> PB> Are any other techniques possible?
>
> Install the binaries under separate names and use simple scripts to
> decide which to run (or use alternatives, but ugh.)  Install libraries
> into separate paths and use the scripts to set the library path.
>
> If the software uses dlopen, just fix it to open the proper library
> based on the capabilities of the machine.

Yes not ideal.
What I've done in %post is to mv the conflicting files
from a temp to standard location, overwriting any existing files.

cheers,
Pádraig.