On running gui applications as root

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 20:09:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 11:53 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> I don't understand.  If a user who has the right to act as root asks
> to authorize a program to run as root on their behalf, we should grant
> that request.  And, once we grant it, we shouldn't be
> passive-aggressive and say "sure you can run it, but no graphics for
> you!".

The point is, if things in Fedora require "run this bit of GUI as root"
in order to function, we've done a poor job. That people have bad
habits already is not sufficient justification to encourage them to
have more.

To the bug in question: probably we should make it so 'sudo gedit' does
work, but I'd still strongly discourage anyone from actually doing so.

- ajax