Dealing with the "my packages" problem

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:27:11 UTC 2015

On Nov 18, 2015 14:06, "Brian C. Lane" <bcl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 02:24:37PM -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> > Matthew Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > What if we made the options be about _the package_ rather than about
> > > the maintainer's prickliness? Rather than "Please don't touch my
> > > package" (I know that's not your wording; added for emphasis) make it
> > > "This package has unusual complications; please coordinate any changes
> > > with the package maintainers."
> > >
> > > Well, except, less wordy. :)
> > >
> > > And, in thinking about it, I don't think we should encourage the
> > > option of "Don't even ask". If there really _is_ something that's a
big
> > > deal, the package maintainer can always say no when asked.
> > >

> > As one of the complainers about current policy, here are my thoughts.
> >
> > I appreciate tibbs bringing up the discussion. I'd vote for a default
> > stance of "Ask first."
>
> I don't think we need a technical solution, we just need the people who
> feel the need to modify packages they aren't normally involved with to
> ask first. It doesn't matter how simple or complicated the change is,
> just be polite.

It is slightly more complicated than that. I ask.. How long do I have to
wait/for an answer? We are worldwide with people who may not be able to
answer for 48 to 96 hours. If that means that builds can't be done for that
time are the comminity OK with that? And if they aren't then what is the
mechanism to show that it was asked and no answer came in by n time so a
change was made anyway