Dealing with the "my packages" problem

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 22:23:09 UTC 2015

David Airlie wrote:

> [...]

I have no insight into how many packages provenpackers are tweaking. I
guess I'd hope that the number would be low because of responsible
package <insert favorite synonym for maintainer>. I assume the number of
changes is << 4000.

> You don't stuff, get over it, maintain it as best you can, if someone else
> screws it up, git revert and move on. If someone persistently screws things
> up then we should deal with *that* problem. I don't think we have anyone
> actively trying to screw up Fedora, so in theory we are all on the same team
> and pulling in the same direction. So maybe if we started with an attitude
> that they are have a good reason for touching the package, and worked with
> that instead of defaulting to silos it would help a lot more.

That may be true but hopefully in most cases the maintainer or
co-maintainer knows a bit more about the package than some random
provenpackager. Having to revert changes is non-zero work.

I also wonder if I revert a provenpackager change, is that the end of
it? Who is the arbiter in this case if not?

rob