On running gui applications as root

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Nov 18 23:43:37 UTC 2015

Am 18.11.2015 um 21:09 schrieb Adam Jackson:
> On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 11:53 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>
>> I don't understand.  If a user who has the right to act as root asks
>> to authorize a program to run as root on their behalf, we should grant
>> that request.  And, once we grant it, we shouldn't be
>> passive-aggressive and say "sure you can run it, but no graphics for
>> you!".
>
> The point is, if things in Fedora require "run this bit of GUI as root"
> in order to function, we've done a poor job

nonsense

"code-editor" needs to run as root to edit *correctly* root-owned config
files and yes i am magnitues faster open a dozen config files in a GUI
editor with tabs then with nano which is fine for (only small) single files

maybe you only have dedicated configuration tools in your mind, i prefer
to install *nothing* which is not strongly needed on machines and the
way i do things is backed by running 8 years a dozen Fedora servers
never reinstalled from scratch