How to remove old source file?

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 03:23:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, 16 Nov, 2015 at 00:42:10 GMT, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Till Maas wrote:
>> It also breaks git clean which is used to clean files. What is the
>> reason that making .gitignore append-only would be useful btw?
>
> If I don't bother cleaning away the old tarballs, I don't want them to show
> up as uncommitted files in git-cola (or command-line "git status", I suppose
> – I always use git-cola), polluting my list of files to commit.

You can set up a global .gitignore. The reasoning is that adding .*.sw*
to every repo just because you use Vim is silly. It is, of course,
overriden by any "don't exclude" lines in a repo-local .gitignore file.
Here's some of my configuration:

.config/git/config:

[core]
    excludesfile = ~/.local/share/git/gitignore

.local/share/git/gitignore:

# Vim backup files
.*.sw*
.*.un~