Some analysis on the size of the minimal and Server installs of Fedora 23

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Nov 19 09:16:53 UTC 2015

On 19/11/15 09:11, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 19.11.2015 um 01:46 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
>> 2. What about non-glibc stuff? /usr/share/locale/ is 800MB on my
>> system. It
>>    would be nice to trim this down too. Afaics, #156477 or the glibc
>>    subpackaging proposal will not help here at all
>
> 800 MB?
>
> on my desktop it's 459 MB
> on servers between between 89 MB and 124 MB
>
> interesting where these differences are from and yes it's large because
> it's around 10% of the whole rootfs

Well it entirely depends on what packages are installed.

On my desktop it's 894Mb, on a stripped down firewall box it's only 107Mb.

It's not just glibc - anything that installs translations will be
putting stuff in /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/