Dealing with the "my packages" problem

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:57:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:23:09 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:

> I also wonder if I revert a provenpackager change, is that the end of
> it? Who is the arbiter in this case if not?

It would be necessary to understand why there's disagreement about how
to package something. Has there been contact between the provenpackager
and the package "owners" before touching the package? What has been the
outcome? Perhaps it has been one of the infamous cases of ignoring a
bugzilla ticket for months?

Over the last years there have been several examples of package "owners"
reverting changes to their packages either unknowingly or out of ignorance,
dumping spec file updates into git without paying attention to previous
commits and the related generated diffs. This has lead to reverting actual
fixes as well as general minor cleanup.