F24 System Wide Change: Systemd file triggers

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Nov 19 13:00:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 09:43:17PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> ZJ> Sure I'm happy to coordinate. I wrote up the Change page because of
> ZJ> the potential for breakage (as with anything systemd related) and
> ZJ> the need for a mass rebuild for the change to take effect.
>
> I'm not entirely sure there's a need for a mass rebuild.  systemd adds
> the file triggers, and packages can drop their scriptlets completely on
> their timeframe.  Or is there something specific that I'm missing?

That's why I meant too (rebuild all packages using the macros once at
some point, not a coordinated "mass rebuild").

> Packages that don't drop the scriptlets will run things an extra time,
> which is unpleasant but won't break anything.
>
> ZJ> Note that there's more stuff in systemd that can use filetriggers:
> ZJ> %udev_hwdb_update, %udev_rules_update, %journal_catalog_update,
> ZJ> possibly others. But those are much more localized, so I thought
> ZJ> that those could be implemented without any special announcement.
>
> FPC's goal is to have every scriptlet in the ScriptletSnippets guideline
> page, plus most ldconfig calls and the texlive and R scriptlets, just
> disappear by the time F24 branches.

At least the systemd scriptplets from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Systemd
will still be needed. Only %systemd_postun is now empty, but it's used
too often (compared to %systemd_postun_with_restart).

Zbyszek