On running gui applications as root

Simon Farnsworth simon at farnz.org.uk
Thu Nov 19 14:01:42 UTC 2015

On Thursday 19 Nov 2015 13:56:32 Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 01:03 PM, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> > "sudo -e  /etc/hosts", will ... still work
>
> Hold on, I think I may not be understanding something.  If "sudo -e
> /etc/hosts" will still work, why won't "sudo emacs /etc/hosts" ?
>
> Andrew.

"sudo -e" creates a temporary file owned by you containing the file contents,
then has your editor access it; when your editor exits, the temporary file's
contents replace the original file.

"sudo emacs" runs emacs as a new user; AIUI, in the current Wayland security
model, emacs running as another user cannot access the Wayland server, because
it's not the same user.

--
Simon Farnsworth