F24 System Wide Change: Systemd package split

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Thu Nov 19 22:51:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 03:40:53PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> > networkd+resolved is about 1MB, and more importantly, they do not
>> > bring in extra dependencies. We discussed also splitting that out on
>> > the upstream mailing list, but in the end the gain didn't seem important
>> > enough.
>>
>> From a cleanliness standpoint, it still makes sense to split it out. Also
>> because this is network-facing code and thus potentially security-relevant.
>
> It's not network facing code. It configures the network, but exits
> after applying the configuration, and does not listen for incoming packets.
> Also, unless you actually provide some configuration (*.network,
> *.netdev files), it doesn't do anything.
>
> I need something more convincing than general "cleanliness". systemd
> has many many binaries, and splitting each out into a seperate package
> without some noticable gain would be madness.

Is resolved considered production-ready code?

I hate to bring up old nastiness, but there was this issue:

http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q4/592

Given the response, it seems that, as of November 2014, resolved was
not considered sufficiently production-ready by upstream to be worthy
of CVEs.  If that's still the case, then I don't think that resolved
belongs in Fedora at all, let alone as part of the main systemd
package.

(Also, how is resolved not network-facing?)

--Andy