Packaging:NamingGuidelines Re: DNF is completly unable to act with local packages

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Nov 23 08:39:50 UTC 2015

On Sunday, 22 November 2015 at 00:46, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Sex, 2015-11-20 at 15:18 +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:

> > > prerelease numbering can't begin with 0 and increased to 0.1
> > > because :
> > >
> > > next version of foo-0.b would be foo-0.1.b and "b">1
> >
> > Nope, 1>"b" in rpm version compare.

Even so, we shouldn't depend on upstream preserving sorting order in
their pre-release suffixes. Numerical sorting is always monotonous.

> If so, we could begging numeration with 0 for pre-release:
>
> foo-0.c -> foo-0.c.1 -> foo-0.1.b -> foo-0.1.b.1 -> foo-0.2.a -> foo-
> 0.2.a.1

I don't understand why you want to introduce another level of numbering.
What's wrong with the current guideline?

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."