Some analysis on the size of the minimal and Server installs of Fedora 23

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 11:58:09 UTC 2015

> > b'plymouth-scripts': 121
> > b'plymouth': 121
> This really does not need to be on minimal installation.

I agree, also it looks like in CentOS 7 minimal install there are also
some bootloader-related images in /usr/share/backgrounds/* which are
also pretty big. I assume the same for fedora.

Locale is about 100 MB (installed size), this is worth investigating as
well. Some spins might not need them:

localedef --list-archive | grep -iv 'en_US' | xargs localedef -v --delete-from-archive
mv /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive.tmpl
/usr/sbin/build-locale-archive

Also cracklib library can be compressed (and it works just fine):

gzip -9 /usr/share/cracklib/pw_dict.pwd

Few (little bit more dirty) tricks are in our Foreman Discovery Image
(Fedora/CentOS based distro to server as MaaS discovery tool):

https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-discovery-image/blob/master/25-minimize.ks

Here, it's little bit extreme (we are removing RPM database, all
documentation etc) because the distro runs from memory (as Live one).
Posting this here because it's relevant.

Any more tips how to save more space are highly appreciated!

--
Later,
 Lukas #lzap Zapletal