Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 2 14:35:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 02:11:46PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >This harms Fedora but not the upstream project which bundles.
> Exactly. This "bundling everything" is upstream-centric. It's
> convenient to them, but it's harmful to wider system integration.

Toshio explained one time that Fedora has generally chosen to take pain
up front rather than defer it. I think that's an appropriate way to
look at this. The proposed policy change is meant to turn those knobs a
little bit to a different setting, choosing to reduce initial pain
significantly — even though we know that it does increase the risk of
pain later.

Historically, the approach we have chosen has been very beneficial to
users, sysadmins, and Fedora packagers. But, history doesn't continue
in the same way forever. The computing landscape has changed
significantly. I think we're taking too much pain with our current
policies, to the point where the theoretical deferred benefit is
overwhelmed by the downsides.

To me, Stephen's proposal preserves the key lessons from history where
it matters most while also reducing the barrier to entry in a way that
will significantly benefit the project, increase adoption of Fedora as
a platform, and advance our mission overall.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>