SPF records @fedoraproject.org versus @lists.fedoraproject.org

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Oct 5 15:48:38 UTC 2015

Am 05.10.2015 um 17:43 schrieb Marcin Juszkiewicz:
> W dniu 05.10.2015 o 16:58, Reindl Harald pisze:
>> Am 05.10.2015 um 16:47 schrieb Marcin Juszkiewicz:
>
>>> Many of those people send their mail from properly configured MTA
>>> allowing random envelope senders for authenticated users
>>
>> well, and that's why spamfighting is that complicated....
>> a MTA allowing random sender is *not* properly configured
>
> My MTA has to send my emails. I connect, authenticate and provide emails
> to send. I may fetch them from many different servers but send them
> through one SMTP server.

RTFM your SMTP servers manual

for such cases our MTA has the SMTP credentials of the sender and uses a
sender-based relay to *not* blow out forged mail, while that's off-topic
here: A records without SPF lead to forged mails and more important
makes it impossible on the RCPT side to distinct between forged and
legit mail for whitelisting and in general

however, off-topic, for the moment i only care about mass mails from the
fedora infrastructure which hits BAYES_50 alerts and i don't want to
train as ham for good reasons