Upgrade path question

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Tue Oct 6 07:13:41 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-05, Sandro Mani <manisandro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick upgrade path question: I intend to retire the tesseract-langpack
> package, which provides many tesseract-langpack-$lang subpackages,

It does not matter whether a (sub-)package is produced by building
one source package or another. Neither rpm nor dnf uses this information.

> and instead have the main tesseract package to provide these, with the
> same name.

Provide what? Export Provides: tesseract-langpack-$lang RPM symbol in
another binary package, or build tesseract-langpack-$lang sub-package
from another source package?

In the first case you should add Obsoletes into the another binary
package, otherwise the old tesseract-langpack-$lang binary packages
remain insalled on a system.

In the second case you don't have to add Obsoletes because the there
the old tesseract-langpack-$lang binary packages will be upgraded to new
tesseract-langpack-$lang binary packages because they have the same
name.

> The version of the tesseract-langpack-$lang subpackages
> increases in the process.

I understand this as the second case.

-- Petr