what it takes to unbundle, in triangle form

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 8 12:44:07 UTC 2015

An unbundling triangle:

             inclination

                 /\
                /  \
               /    \
              / all  \
     A       / three→ \         B
            /   ideal  \
           /  unbundled \
          /    package   \
         /                \
        /__________________\

  availablity            expertise

A: Inclination + availability, short on expertise:

     *Ideally*, this the packager learns quickly and moves to the
     center of the triangle, at least for this package. More
     likely, frustration reduces motivation and the package just
     gets dropped. Other times, a "okay, this works" job is done,
     but there may be bugs, including potential security issues,
     and even in better cases, the package becomes a special case,
     harder to maintain, forever.

B: Inclination + expertise, but not available:

     Any ideas to create more time or more people are welcome, and
     I don't mean that in a snarky way. My thinking is that we're
     better off having the people who really care about this
     problem work on tooling and automation which will do a better
     job than the "get over the initial high wall" process we have
     now, by being more thorough and by also applying _after_
     initial packager review.

C: Availability + expertise, but no inclination:

     The problem is: we can't *make* people have this inclination.
     Fedora just plain doesn't have that weight. I wish we did, but
     it's *clearly* not so. The only outcome of a hard line on this
     is less relevance for us. That's why I'm in favor of a softer
     line, and approaches which educate and encourage rather than
     demand.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>