Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Oct 9 15:46:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:05:00 +0200
Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

> This does not scale unfortunately ... and it is common excuse to not
> support it properly. IOW, I want to have package foo-1.0 installed
> side by side with foo-2.0 and I don't want to have foo1-1.0 side by
> side with foo-2.0. And this applies especially for packages which are
> designed to not conflict by design.

Of course it doesn't scale... unless someone has figured out some magic
dust to make software bug free and always secure and always integrated,
there needs to be people supporting all those parallel installed things
and making sure they are secure/bugfixed/integrated.

So, the barrier is then that if you need/want a compat package, you
must commit to maintaining it, or convince someone else to.

kevin