Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Oct 9 17:38:30 UTC 2015

On 10/09/2015 10:27 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:46:11AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:05:00 +0200
>> Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This does not scale unfortunately ... and it is common excuse to not
>>> support it properly. IOW, I want to have package foo-1.0 installed
>>> side by side with foo-2.0 and I don't want to have foo1-1.0 side by
>>> side with foo-2.0. And this applies especially for packages which are
>>> designed to not conflict by design.
>>
>> Of course it doesn't scale... unless someone has figured out some magic
>> dust to make software bug free and always secure and always integrated,
>> there needs to be people supporting all those parallel installed things
>> and making sure they are secure/bugfixed/integrated.
>>
>> So, the barrier is then that if you need/want a compat package, you
>> must commit to maintaining it, or convince someone else to.
>
> Debian seems to have solved this problem in a much nicer way: multiple
> major versions of shared libraries can be installed in parallel, and
> manual work is not required, the version of the library is included
> in the binary package name.

When you say that no manual work is required, for whom do you mean?  Is the
packaging handled automatically as well?

> Fedora sets this bar very high: a separate review, slightly different
> guidelines, so nobody bothers except for special cases.
>
> Zbyszek

I suspect the case brought up by Adam wouldn't be helped by this - as I expect
it wouldn't have been a major version update to cairo.  Even minor updates can
trigger issues, and supporting parallel installation of the same sonames I
could image would be very tricky.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com