Proposal: retire lesstif in f24 and beyond

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:17:33 UTC 2015

On 8 October 2015 at 17:04, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Christopher Meng wrote:
>> IMO motif should 'Obsoletes' lesstif in Fedora since motif is free now.
>
> The reason we kept lesstif even after OpenMotif was finally freed is because
> OpenMotif only implements the Motif 2 API, whereas lesstif implemented the
> Motif 1 API. Back then, a lot of Motif applications did not compile with
> Motif 2.

A lot of applications still do not mainly because by the time
OpenMotif was out.. "Motif" was dead except for legacy computer code
that a lot of research institutes still use. It looks from the amount
of porting that has been done in this thread that a lot of those
problems are easier to fix now?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.