repodata size

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 9 23:20:32 UTC 2015

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Perhaps every product should produce a os/{repodata,Packages} directory as
> well as an updates/VERSION/PRODUCT/ tree with .

Please no! Let's not fragment Fedora even more than it already is with those
"products".

* Would packages belonging to multiple products (kernel, glibc, glib2,
  systemd, NetworkManager etc.) be copied into each of those repositories?
* Where would packages that belong to a non-"product" spin (e.g. KDE) go in
  that plan? Into Workstation? Into a "nonproduct" dumping ground? Neither
  is really an ideal situation. If neither, then we are actually talking
  about a repository per spin, which means a dozen repositories with
  significant overlap.
* And what about niche packages not clearly associated to any "product"?
  Would those also end up in a "nonproduct" dumping ground that is not
  enabled by default on any "product"?

I think there is a lot of value in having a common repository that ensures
interoperability to the maximum possible extent. Even Ubuntu with their
separately marketed products (Kubuntu even being released by a separate
company these days) draws from a shared repository. Let's not throw this
away.

        Kevin Kofler