repodata size

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 10 00:08:34 UTC 2015

Am 10.10.2015 um 01:59 schrieb Neal Gompa:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net
>     the problem are not only the metadata, but the .solv stuff which did
>     not exist before DNF was introduced - what the hell is that, why is
>     it that large and how sould fragment the distribution fix that issue?
>
> ​Did you think that the faster dependency resolution came for free in
> DNF? Yum used SQLite databases, DNF uses solv data. solv data is
> generated by libsolv, which parses the repository data and caches it in
> a form that can be rapidly re-read and used for doing repository queries
> and dependency resolution.​

DNF is by far not as fast as pretended and as the additional overhead
and frankly most of the time it's slower, just refuses to just work with
"dnf update *.rpm", gives no useful messages in case of dependency
problems and the whole autocompletion is laughable slow compared to YUM

not talking about missing features like non-ported yum-utils or
essential plugins linke "dnf update --security"

until today nobody was able to show me something which is *really*
faster where it does matter and given that /var/cache/dnf is nearly as
large as the whole OS of some fedora production machines i miss the
improvements and see only drawbacks