Proposal: retire lesstif in f24 and beyond

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Oct 10 05:20:22 UTC 2015

On 10/09/2015 09:17 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 8 October 2015 at 17:04, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Christopher Meng wrote:
>>> IMO motif should 'Obsoletes' lesstif in Fedora since motif is free now.
>>
>> The reason we kept lesstif even after OpenMotif was finally freed is because
>> OpenMotif only implements the Motif 2 API, whereas lesstif implemented the
>> Motif 1 API. Back then, a lot of Motif applications did not compile with
>> Motif 2.
>>

> A lot of applications still do not mainly because by the time
> OpenMotif was out.. "Motif" was dead except for legacy computer code
> that a lot of research institutes still use. It looks from the amount
> of porting that has been done in this thread that a lot of those
> problems are easier to fix now?
>
>  From the people who did the porting was it a quick fix or a bunch of patches?

As far as the packages I touched are concerned, the "porting effort" was
very low.

The effort basically was reflecting the packaging dep-naming changes
into the specs.

I did not have to apply any changes to the packages' source code. My
guess is, on the code-level, today's "Motif" is sufficiently backward
compatible, the packages already saw testing against Motif or even been
developed on Motif (and then ported to lesstif)[1]. I point, I which
makes me wonder, is Fedora seemingly being late in the switch to Motif
in comparison to other distros.

A problem hiding is package installation conflicts between the *-devel
package of different versions of the lesstif, openmotif and motif
packages. Therefore, I tried to stay with lesstif on fedora < 24 and
switch to motif only on fedora >= 24.

I know, we are late in the release schedule, but I am considering to
switching at least Inventor to motif on fc23, as well - It's unimportant
enough to most users, but is important to me ;)

Ralf

[1] In the ole' days, lesstif almost always had been the troublesome
part, which required app-code to me modified, because of missing
features or incompatibilities ;)